Friends of Barron is proud to announce that they have located sponsors for all but two of their student scholars. Twenty-seven Barron students now have scholarships; 17 high school students and 10 university students. FOB would like to thank the following donors and new sponsors for their recent contributions:
- Rita Pacheco – Medical & Dental Clinics; Scholarships
- Dave & Elaine Greiner – Sponsor for Rosalinda, Sophomore in High School
- Rob & Jayne Rupe – Sponsor for Jorge, Merchant Marine Academy
- Bonnie & Harrison Wreschner – Sponsor for Teresita, University of Sinaloa
- Glenn Long & Bette Millar Long – Sponsor for Jesus Abraham, Sophomore in High School
- Ron & Janice Ohmes – Sponsor for Ricardo, Junior in High School
- Sandy Vernon – Sponsor for Amairany, Junior in High School
- Sonny Wong – Sponsor for Jesus Idelfonso, Junior in High School
- Bill & Jane Jackson – Sponsor for Rodolfo, Sophomore in High School
- Ken & Jan Clarence – Sponsor for Alondra, Senior in High School
- Richard & Kristine McGuire – Sponsor for Iris, University of Sinaloa
- Thomas Turner – Medical & Dental Clinics
- Jan & John Serra – Fatima, Junior in High School
- Dale & Lynda Lyster – Litzy, Sophomore in High School and Kenia, University of Sinaloa
- Gene Lombardo – School Projects
- Pam & Jeff Hawkenson – School Projects
In other news, FOB and their contactor recently completed installation of a new Internet tower at the Barron middle school. Their new computer lab is now open due to the generosity of Joe & Berenice Oviatt (13 computers), Dave & Elaine Greiner (6 computers) and the EDM IT Department.
In June, 2016 applications for scholarships will once again go out to the 2016 Ninth Grade graduating class at the Barron Middle School. The scholarship program is in its sixth year of operation and many of the students who were on scholarship throughout high school have now entered University. Several sponsors have continued to support their students in University. As more and more scholarship students successfully complete high school, FOBs emphasis on University scholarships will gradually grow.
FOB also looks forward to benefitting from the recent EDM sponsored Charity Golf Tournament. On January 30 & 31, one hundred sixty-six players took to the links to raise money for four charitable entities, of which FOB was one. Once received, the money will be used to complete the new computer classroom/laboratory for the Barron Middle School.
Of course, financial needs are ongoing. To help raise money for FOB programs, an anonymous craftsperson has donated a beautiful Queen-sized bedspread. It will be auctioned off in the near future.
In another fund raising effort, FOB is offering handcrafted club head covers for sale. When you order custom club head covers, FOB CANAM AC will donate half the money to the school Project Fund. The balance goes to “La Comadria”, the women who construct the covers. Order form information will be forthcoming in another post.